[VHFcontesting] TS-790 1296 Question

Shane Autrey iam4thapack at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 18 16:28:12 EDT 2005

I have the opportunity to pick up a nice used TS-790a
Kenwood transceiver. It does not have the UT-10 1.2
GHz module installed. I have found a source of new
UT-10 modules for around $625. My question is for
those of you with this rig how is the terrestrial
performance is? I am  trying to decide whether I would
like to use the internal 1296 module or get the DEM
1296-144HP2 25W transverter. I have used and still use
Steve's transverters and love them. The wonderful part
about the transverter above is it puts out 15W more of
power; not to mention he uses much newer technology
for the receive section; and it is around $75 cheaper!
Do any of you with this rig use a DEMI transverter on
the 144 side of this rig and if so with what results?

Shane KI4M EM95aq