[VHFcontesting] FM Contesting . . .

S.J.Swanson swanson at ticon.net
Sun Feb 20 08:15:32 EST 2005

Good Morning:

The Milwaukee Radio Amateurs' Club has sponsored a February FM Simplex Contest the last three years. The goal was to introduce contesting to new amateurs and show the capability of simplex operating when the repeaters are down. We are fortunate in that four grids come together at a major intersection in the Milwaukee Metro area so the concept of multipliers is easy to handle. The rules are available from me as a Word or PDF document.

It covers the lower four VHF/UHF bands in sprint format, with 45 minutes devoted to 2 meters and 30 minutes to the other three bands. Here's what we say about frequencies:

"A.   2 meters 1:45 pm to 2:30 pm
(Primary 146.550, 146.565, 146.580 and 146.595 MHz)
(Secondary 147.540 147.555 147.570 and 147.585 MHz)

"B.   70 centimeters 2:30 pm to 3:00 pm
(446.025, 446.050, 446.075 and 446.100 MHz)

"C.   6 meters 3:00 pm to 3:30 pm
(52.530, 52.550, 52.570 and 52.590 MHz)

"D.   1.25 meters 3:30 pm to 4:00 pm
(223.520, 223.540, 223.560 and 223.580 MHz)"

The rules go on to say :

"1.    Frequencies essentially follow the ARRL VHF Contest rules and Wisconsin Association of Repeaters’ band plans.

"A.   On 2 meters no contacts on the 146.52 calling frequency, or the guard channels 15 KHz above and below ’52.  (Using the Wisconsin Band Plan’s 30 KHz spacing and 15 KHz splits).  Any entry from a station heard making QSO’s on these frequencies will be disqualified.  Try to limit activity to the primary frequencies.

"B.   As a matter of courtesy and good amateur practice, avoid the other calling frequencies of 52.525, 223.500 and 446.000 MHz.

"C.   Solicitation for simplex contacts on repeaters, but not 146.52, is permitted."

The prohibition for contacts on 146.52 leaves a channel available for mobiles that may not be familiar with local repeaters and PL's for emergency communications. There is also a caveat to specify a frequency to QSY to from a repeater. The limited time on each band has succeeded in avoiding irritating the folks that do hang out on simplex -- at least no complaints have been heard.

What have we accomplished?

1. I do not feel that we have increased local simplex activity or FM activity in other contests. I have a local E-letter and announce that during a contest, I will be periodically calling CQ on a 2 meter FM simplex frequency on the hour -- no results!

2. The folks that score big are already contesters.

3. We have a perpetual plaque at Amateur Electronics' Supply here in Milwaukee that honors the Club with the highest score. The hope was that local repeater clubs would organize for the event. The first two years the sponsoring club, a general amateur radio club, won. This year The Badger Contesters, a regional VHF/UHF weak signal group has made an effort and will probably get their name engraved on the award. (There are also certificates for individuals with high over all and high in each band.)

4. We have increased the number of folks that operate 223 MHz, many getting an HT or low end 223 MHz mobile rig just for the contest. I had 6 Q's on the band last year, this year I had 16. Will it translate to more 1.25 meter activity? I doubt it. Hams on FM seem to want instant gratification and the concept of calling "CQ" time after time is totally foreign.

5. Everyone that participates really enjoys the 'test and can't wait for next year! However the Contest seems to have a life of its own but has not meet the initial goals!

Again, feel free to contact me directly for more information or the rules/flyer we use.

73, Sherm KB9Q, (EN52vv)

swanson-KB9Q at ticon.net