[VHFcontesting] FM Contesting . . .

N3AWS@aol.com N3AWS at aol.com
Sun Feb 20 12:10:02 EST 2005

>>> I like it!  Shall we push for these frequencies so that we have a
concrete proposal to try and snag the FMers in our midst?  Think about it--an HT set
to scan these frequencies could pick up some extra points for you next VHF
contest.  Then, take the next step and contact these hams AFTER the contest and
try to get them on weak signal modes.  It just may increase your score.  Not to
mention the great feeling you'll get Elmering some new blood.

As always, your suggestions really go right to the heart of the matter.

73,  Jim N3AWS

EM50

"A.   2 meters 1:45 pm to 2:30 pm

(Primary 146.550, 146.565, 146.580 and 146.595 MHz)
(Secondary 147.540 147.555 147.570 and 147.585 MHz)

"B.   70 centimeters 2:30 pm to 3:00 pm
(446.025, 446.050, 446.075 and 446.100 MHz)

"C.   6 meters 3:00 pm to 3:30 pm
(52.530, 52.550, 52.570 and 52.590 MHz)

"D.   1.25 meters 3:30 pm to 4:00 pm
(223.520, 223.540, 223.560 and 223.580 MHz)"

The rules go on to say :

"1.    Frequencies essentially follow the ARRL VHF Contest rules and
Wisconsin Association of Repeaters’ band plans.

"A.   On 2 meters no contacts on the 146.52 calling frequency, or the guard
channels 15 KHz above and below ’52.  (Using the Wisconsin Band Plan’s 30 KHz
spacing and 15 KHz splits).  Any entry from a station heard making QSO’s on
these frequencies will be disqualified.  Try to limit activity to the primary
frequencies.

"B.   As a matter of courtesy and good amateur practice, avoid the other
calling frequencies of 52.525, 223.500 and 446.000 MHz.

"C.   Solicitation for simplex contacts on repeaters, but not 146.52, is
permitted."

The prohibition for contacts on 146.52 leaves a channel available for mobiles
that may not be familiar with local repeaters and PL's for emergency
communications. There is also a caveat to specify a frequency to QSY to from a
repeater. The limited time on each band has succeeded in avoiding irritating the
folks that do hang out on simplex -- at least no complaints have been heard.

What have we accomplished?

1. I do not feel that we have increased local simplex activity or FM activity
in other contests. I have a local E-letter and announce that during a
contest, I will be periodically calling CQ on a 2 meter FM simplex frequency on the
hour -- no results!

2. The folks that score big are already contesters.

3. We have a perpetual plaque at Amateur Electronics' Supply here in
Milwaukee that honors the Club with the highest score. The hope was that local
repeater clubs would organize for the event. The first two years the sponsoring club,
a general amateur radio club, won. This year The Badger Contesters, a
regional VHF/UHF weak signal group has made an effort and will probably get their
name engraved on the award. (There are also certificates for individuals with
high over all and high in each band.)

4. We have increased the number of folks that operate 223 MHz, many getting
an HT or low end 223 MHz mobile rig just for the contest. I had 6 Q's on the
band last year, this year I had 16. Will it translate to more 1.25 meter
activity? I doubt it. Hams on FM seem to want instant gratification and the concept
of calling "CQ" time after time is totally foreign.

5. Everyone that participates really enjoys the 'test and can't wait for next
year! However the Contest seems to have a life of its own but has not meet
the initial goals!

Again, feel free to contact me directly for more information or the
rules/flyer we use.

73, Sherm KB9Q, (EN52vv)

swanson-KB9Q at ticon.net