[VHFcontesting] FM Activity

Matthew- KB1EXM kb1exm at sillypeppers.us
Sun Feb 20 13:37:28 EST 2005

As a Rover I started out on FM.  A local contester encouraged me to go
to a couple of grids and give out points on FM.  I had a dual band
mobile and had a good time.  Now I have four bands for my rover and
have gone out with others with 10 bands.  In both cases I have used
146.55, 223.5, and 446.0 FM to much success.  Some times it helps to
attract a multi op station that may only have its FM beams pointed my
direction, mobile stations lurking on the frequencies, and the
occasional HT that I happen to contact.  If there is a lot of activity
on SSB the FM is ignored, but if you have two ops in a rover and one
can run the microwaves and the other can use FM. I don't think we
should ignore FM. If we can get someone interested on FM this contest,
maybe next time they will set up antennas for VHF with their multiband
rig that has never made it above 10 meters.  The only way to expand
interest is to welcome newcomers is any way we can.

Matthew
KB1EXM