[VHFcontesting] Bringing newbies to VHF-UHF

Sean Kutzko kx9x at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 1 15:05:27 EST 2007

32 may not sound like a lot of folks to us seasoned
contest ops, but the point of this "contest"  is to
get new ops active in something unamiliar to them. 1
hour is a good time limit; enough to generate godo
activity levels, but doesn't limit entries based on a
time commitment. Most folks can find an hour to do
radio.

For those interested, the rules can be found here:

http://www.qsl.net/k9cu/fmrules.html

Winners in each category get a certificate. This is
often the first "award" in ham radio newer hams get.
Everybody likes to be recognized for doing well in a
competition, no matter how small that competition may
be. The "newbies" and old-timers alike really enjoy
this on-air activity.

Perhaps this is a good tool you can use in your area
to give newer/inexperienced ops exposure to VHF/UHF
activity.

73,

Sean