[VHFcontesting] Contest rules and rovering

k2drh at sanasys.com k2drh at sanasys.com
Sat Sep 15 15:04:15 EDT 2007

*******************snip********************************
The same situation also exists for rovers.  For example, I might rove near
a fixed station and work him on all bands while I'm close and get that
grid on those bands.  Later, if I am 300 miles away, all I can get for
working him is QSO points.  So for a difficult QSO that might take several
minutes, I have to decide if I would be better off to proceed to the next
grid and keep on moving on rather than spend that kind of time.
******************snip********************************

This seems to be one sad and probably unintended consequence of messing
with the Rover rules.  As a single op who has no "pass" problems and can
dedicate my full attention to any given band run, this legitimate concern
on the Rover's part hurts my chances of him stopping and taking a little
more time to maybe squeeze another mult or two out of it.

My rule is to never pass up a chance to work every band ANY station has,
no matter how many times I've worked the grid already.  Sometimes one has
to bow to practicality on the longer hauls if the prop is just not there,
but you never know for sure until you try!

73 de Bob2 K2DRH