[VHFcontesting] Sorry to See Bashing of Grid Circle Competitors

pipkin29292 at mypacks.net pipkin29292 at mypacks.net
Fri Dec 5 08:55:38 EST 2008

OH my, the post below is a sad attack of a very dedicated group of hams.
I am a successful rover and spend my time handing out grids to everyone I can, that's the part I enjoy. If a group of grid circle operators moved in and beat me I would still enjoy the contest.

Let me see if I can list how many buttons the exchange below pushes.
° Grid Circling is causing less activity and destroying the hobby - ( it has no effect, it is just adding another type of activity, hence more activity)
° Grid Circling community is a bunch of dirty commies like the old Soviets and North Koreans
° Grid Circling is unchristian
° Grid Circling is not friendly
° Publishing logs will show grid circling. ( no need, we all know already it's done and they are justifiably pround of it )
° Grid circles are not in harmony with the ecosystem

What a shocking list. I want to take my fellow hams with this attitude to task for this.

Ham radio is a big hobby with something for every one. Each group has an interest that pleases them and we should respect each one. I greatly respect and admire what the grid circle stations have done. I know from putting a station together to rove on all bands from 50 mhz to 2304 mhz ( and soon 3456 mhz ) that it takes great skill, expertise, and hard work to field these stations and drive all those miles. ( don't forget the planning and expense ) They bring a significant fruit to the hobby as well as enjoy their own brand of social interation. I studied their web pages and used much of their experience in assembling my station. They freely elmer the rest of us by publishing information on how their stations are built and operated.

What about all those EME guys that use their home stations to work other EME contacts on exotic digital modes that only a computer can decode while my lap top in the rover is tied up on logging. I have no chance of working those guys. I don't see anyone bashing those guys. We all know how much they should be applauded for their contribution to the hobby and how much it takes to build an EME station.

What about the other digital guys working testerial. My rover has no chance of working them while underway roving. Maybe while stationay I could add a second lap top and join them, but look how many contacts I would lose because the digital modes are so sparse during a contest. Lets make them quit that and come over and work me.

How about the CW guys that don't care that many of the new codeless hams can't work them in the contest. Lets get some logs, find out who they are, and bash them too.

What about all those guys that never turn their beams south because in South Florida where I am there are less stations than in the nothern population centers. They should have to give me a chance.

What about those guys that enjoy bench work, experimenting and construction projects much more than operating. Lets bash them for not getting on in contest and working me.

This hobby has a strong tradition of tolerance. Day in and day out the HF guys get along with the competing interest of those that want to rag chew, those that want to chase DX, those that want to check into nets, and those that want to contest. ( in the "old" days those that wanted to phone patch, fax, slow scan TV etc. etc. ) All these guys seem to find a way to squeeze into the limited spectrum and generally remain civil to each other. ( admittidly not always but mostly they do ) I find it really sad that on VHF there are those that don't maintain this same attitude.

It would be a great loss to the hobby if we started selecting which group we want to shut down. Each is making a contribution and enjoying their nitch.

Hope everyone can lighten up and appreciate the efforts others make and enjoy.

73's AH8M/R