[VHFcontesting] grid circling bashing, end it

k4gun at comcast.net k4gun at comcast.net
Fri Dec 5 11:46:25 EST 2008

I'm actually neutral about making logs public.  I really don't see that it will change the behavior of the grid circlers.  I do think it could address other issues such as outright cheating, but that's a completely separate matter and should not be confused with the issue at hand.

I still think a point is missed.  That is that we (or at least I) am not opposed to grid circling.  I think its a great way to operate.  I can see the appeal and challenge.  I see exactly why others do it and admire their accomplishments in terms of score, technical achievement, route planning and coordination.  What I don't like is having them compete against traditional rovers.  That's why the VUAC gave them their own class in the first place.

There is nothing wrong with Unlimited Rovers.  Just like there is nothing wrong with multi-op stations and SOHP stations.  Each has its place and competes against similar stations.  The discussion here really should be how to keep the Unlimited Rovers competing against themselves and not other roving stations.

Steve

K4GUN/R