[VHFcontesting] missing log grid circling and undocumentedrovers

Mike Metroka VHFRover at aol.com
Sun Jul 27 17:59:31 EDT 2008

Nate WY0X  Wrote:
If some guy doesn't send in a log, all contacts with that
"undocumented" participant vaporize, for EVERYONE that worked him.

IMHO this is absolutely the wrong approach as eliminating all contacts with
stations who did not turn in a log would penalize stations who go out of
their way to pick up additional contest points from stations who do not
normally enter into the VHF/UHF/uWave contests.  Case in point:  I routinely
visit the FM portions of the bands looking for those "extra" contacts that
will help me get ahead of the pack.  During those FM QSOs I routinely and
gladly explain that there is a contest going on and what it is all about.  I
not only get a contest Q but maybe some day some of those FM'ers will join
the weak signal contest ranks and add to the fun!

Eliminating contacts from stations who did not bother to turn in a log will
surely lead to less contacts in the logs (which helps to justify our use of
spectrum) and less activity (which could lead to contests going away).
73
Mike WB8BZK/R