[VHFcontesting] Lunchbox QRP

Steve Clifford k4gun.r at gmail.com
Wed Feb 18 17:07:00 EST 2009

I've been on record as supporting the idea of the 30/50 solution that the
VUAC has proposed.  I still think its the best solution, but I have this
nagging concern that I'm wondering if anybody else has really put their mind
to.

Could the Lunchbox Brigade establish QRP portable or SOLP bases to continue
to dominate Limited and Classic Rover and then also take over yet another
category?  I don't think it can be done with the combination of 30 QSOs with
individual rover and 50% with all rovers, but I'd like to hear speculation
from others.

I'm sitting here with a grid map and trying to figure out how they could
game the new rules.  Could they find a place within one or two grids that
would give a QRP station or an SOLP station coverage into 6 to 9 grids?
They really would only need to find one location that had good lines to a
few of their grid intersections and set up three stations at the same
place.  All could aim to the same intersection at the same time.

What would that do?  If they found a location with a good line to two
intersections, that would be 8 grids.  If they had three stations at that
location, it would mean the rovers would have 24 possible contacts per band
used.  For the Limited Rover guys, that's 96 QSOs, meaning they could go up
to 192 total Q's per contest without bumping into Unlimited.  If they could
do it on 10 bands, that would be 240 contacts, giving them a possible 480
for the contest.

Those are beatable numbers.  They are high, but still beatable.  The bigger
problem will be what happens to the SOLP and QRP guys.  Let's say all 8 of
the pack are operating as Limited Rovers in order to make it easier for them
to stay under the 30 contact limit.  They hit just 8 grids.  That's 256
QSOs.

I realize that 256 QSOs on 4 bands and into only 8 grids is not enough to
put a QRP station into the dominant spot, but its a hell of a Bogey.  Change
one or two of those Limited Rovers to classic or unlimited and the Q count
and mults go through the roof.

Maybe I am looking too far out.  I would like to think that they will alter
tactics to actually look outside their group and if they do, that's great.
I'm all for it.  I just have this nagging feeling that we might be setting
up to allow them to dominate yet another category.

That brings up the question as to whether or not th 30/50 rule will work.  I
think it will, but I wonder if 50% is too high or if we need to do what
others have suggested and look to scoring changes for rovers.

Just some food for thought.

Steve
K4GUN/R