[VHFcontesting] Roving Analysis

David All n3xudfm19 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 10:03:30 PDT 2009

This is a report from another of the 5 Unlimited Rovers.  Our decision was
made prior to the start of the event as a result of utilizing 3 operators.
We had the bottom 4 and also 1296.  We talked about going with out 1296 and
go limited rover but with using 3 operators we were compeled to enter the
Unlimited catagory and try out 1296.

6m helped us out big time, 2m was good but some techinal issues with other
bands from our first grid caused a less than steller preformance.  We used
my self as logger for my daughter who was our voice on 6m and did
fantastic.  While my dad took up the rest of the bands.  In retrospect, and
planing for the next contest.  One "seasoned" operator should have been on 6
and 2 operators taken up the rest of the bands.  I noticed that in the heat
of 6m we would pass and dad was bussy working on 222 and up.  This caused us
to miss some chances for the guys that only had 2,6.  But the bottom line
was that as a 3 generation ham family we had a lot of fun.  Photos can bee
seen at my web site. www.n3xud.webs.com

Now that the entries are being studied I was shocked to realize that we were
only 1 of 5 entries in this catagory.  This was a dramatic turn in my mind.
I had a feeling that the rover rule change would cause a decrease for the
rovers who only had one or two of the other bands.  But in no way did I
expect the extreamly low entries into the Limited catagory.  I agree that
with the investment in a rover with the upper bands, I also would go for all
the points and not side with check logging the upper bands.  Would be neat
to see a multi op rover catagory.  That way some of the rovers with all the
bands can really boost the scores by having an op to handle the run up the
bands.  If fixed stations can.  Why cant the rover.
I just hope that this trend does not continue.  If it does I have a feeling
that another rule change would be down the road.  I dont want to open the
rule debate at all.

Duffy- Take a look back and see if there were any previous year entries that
changed their entry catagory this year.  From Unlimited Rovers to the
Limited catagory.  This would be neet to see if there was a big defection to
the Limited ranks.

Just a reflection from the 3 Generation Rover. N3XUD/R.  FM19rw
Dave
www.n3xud.webs.com