[VHFcontesting] Roving Analysis

Bill All n3_kkm at embarqmail.com
Tue Jul 21 10:10:29 PDT 2009

Since the subject was brought up, here's another view from one of the 5 Unlimited Rover entrants in the June contest. The N3XUD/R Three Generation Rover Team agonized over which rover class to enter also.  We opted for the Unlimited Rover class, not to win anything, but to renew contesting ties with my son and my recently licensed Grand-Daughter, KB3STA. The Classic Rover and the Limited Rover clearly state a maximum of two operators. So should we have left her home while Son and I went out roving as a Limited or Classic Rover?  I think NOT. Were we competitive in the Unlimited Rover class? I think NOT. But we did have a good time, and did she learn a little about contesting? Well you'll have to ask her.  But would I do it again?  D*** Right. I would not trade that experience for anything.

Bill - N3KKM
For the N3XUD/R Three Generation Rover Team