[VHFcontesting] Roving: Battery vs Generator

John D'Ausilio jdausilio at gmail.com
Mon Nov 16 11:40:20 PST 2009

After the most excellent NEWS group meeting on Saturday, I drove home
with some new ideas churning around in my brain .. mostly as a result
of seeing an LDMOS based FM broadcast pallet amp about the size of a
postcard that would do 750W on 48V.

I'm going to need to replace my battery bank this year .. it's seen
hard use and is ready to go the the great battery recycler in the sky.
Question is, should I consider "going generator"?

I'm interested in direct rover experience with small portable
generators .. good and bad experiences, recommendations pro or con,
etc. One thing that's nice about the self-contained rover is the
(relative) inconspicuousness .. it I have to pull out a generator and
start it up and run a cable back to the rover that's much more
obnoxious in public places than an idling van. Fuel might be another
inconvenience .. or maybe not if a tank lasts as long as the driving
tank does. I'm sure other things will occur to me .. change = fear :(

de w1rt/john