[VHFcontesting] 222 Transverters; Elecraft Issues

Mark Adams msadams60 at gmail.com
Mon Sep 28 12:14:55 PDT 2009

Gang,
I used Elecraft 222 transverter in my rover with an FT817 as the IF. I had
problems right from the start. When transmitting on 6M the transverter would
lights would start flashing. My rover partner added a bunch of bypass caps
and I "re-grounded" the connectors on the back panel. Problem temporarily
solved. Fast forward to Sept 09. I hooked up the K2/222 combo using the
60M/XVTR module. Very first QSO on 6M and the K2 and XV222 start doing the
"display dance." So, rip it apart and waste the first 20 minutes of my first
grid converting back to the 817 as the IF.

So, Steve, VE3SMA, reminded me of these posts. Check it out!

Mark:

BTW, I read your note on strange behaviour of the K2/XV222 when transmitting
on 6m.  It sounds like it might be the same problem I had.  See

http://n2.nabble.com/K2-XV222-RFI-Susceptibility-Problems-td2228908.html#a2228908

http://n2.nabble.com/K2-XV222-RFI-Susceptibility-Problems-a-solution-found-td2312565.html#a2312565

You may have to stitch those URLs back together.

Elecraft was somewhat unhelpful and rather obviously not willing to confirm
my theory on the firmware behaviour, but I am 99% sure I understand the
issue correctly.  I think I can find the filter component values somewhere
if you want them.

When I was putting the setup together on Saturday morning I noticed some
relay switching going in the K2 or XV222 on when I keyed up the 2m rig on
the mobile vertical, so it seems it's not completely fixed.  But it didn't
give me any real problems on the weekend.  When I am stopped for a while I
use a separate mast set up a few feet from the car, which probably reduces
the field strength enough that there is no issue.

73,
Steve VE3SMA

Mark K2QO