[VHFcontesting] Cushcraft 13B2 Match

Wed Sep 29 20:28:50 PDT 2010

Thanks to all who have responded to far.  As best I can tell, the T-match presents a balanced feedpoint impedance in the neighborhood of 200 Ohms (whether it's real or complex I don't know), and so I just need a 4:1 balun which I can make out of some transmission line.  Not sure why Cushcraft sells a fancy box for that but oh well.  Guess I'll just slap on a lambda/2 piece of coax and see if that makes it happy.

I do wish the manufacturers would provide more technical data on their products.  It's really frustrating not to have a theory of operation section, circuit schematic, and/or a Smith chart showing the feedpoint impedance.  It's not exactly rocket science, just a bit of EM field and microwave theory...ah well.

73's and thanks again to all who responded.  Feel free to keep the conversation going!

Mike KI4RIX