[VHFcontesting] FW: CQWW VHF N8RA SOAB LP

Chet S chetsubaccount at snet.net
Mon Jul 18 06:49:59 PDT 2011

                    CQ Worldwide VHF Contest

Call: N8RA
Class: SOAB LP
QTH: FN31
Operating Time (hrs): 14
Radios: SO2R

    6:  239    84
    2:   71    24
-------------------
Total:  310   108  Total Score = 41,148

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

The start of the contest was only a few hours from the time I returned home
after being out of town for a few days. I was tired and not excited about
starting the contest by having to slug it out on 6M if it was wide open with
E's.

Well, 6M was not "open" here on Saturday so it was a weak signal contest,
which I really do enjoy. On Sunday, 6M did open late morning, and it then
became a 6M contest for the rest of the contest period. When 6 is open, 2M
becomes a dead band in this one.  For most of the time though, the opening
was weak and spotty, but persistant. Late afternoon did have one stretch
when stations could be worked from the Midwest, the South, the Caribbean,
South America, and the Canadian Maritimes, but even then the band here was
not jammed wall-to-wall with QRM.

This was fun and I was glad that the station still worked and that nothing
broke, but was sad that I had not yet implemented some improvements from my
ever lengthening station "to-do" list.

73 and thanks for the Q's,
Chet, N8RA