[VHFcontesting] FM Contesting-Suggested Frequencies Part 2

Les Rayburn les at highnoonfilm.com
Thu Dec 13 15:48:11 EST 2012

Some of the folks on the West Coast have expressed concerns about the
suggested frequencies. There does seem to be good agreement on the first
two channels:

146.55 (Primary)

146.58 (Primary)

Maybe we're better off recommending these two channels and "others in
use locally". Here in Alabama, morning enhancement often makes it
possible to work simplex into three states,
and several grids. So it's not sufficient to simply say, "everyone
should use their local frequencies". The channels used in Mississippi
are not the same as those used here in Birmingham. If we all just used
our "local" channels, we're going to miss contacts. Listening to "noise"
for hours on end is frustrating to experienced weak signal guys...I'd
hate to think about
the effect on newcomers.

We need to create "watering holes" where everyone can monitor and
gather, with some expectation of activity.

Show of hands? Would these two frequencies work?

73,

Les N1LF