[VHFcontesting] [VHF] FM Contest Frequencies

Dale Svetanoff svetanoff at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 15 14:12:31 EST 2012

If I may, I'd like to suggest 146.46 MHz as another viable candidate for an
FM contest frequency.  It is in fairly common use around the Midwest,
whereas I have not observed a lot of activity on 146.58.  It also works for
15 or 20 kHz spacing.  I think you will find that different parts of the
USA have differences in the most active simplex channels, so getting a wide
range of input suggestions is worthwhile.

For those not aware, ARRL has declared 146.52 and its "guard channels" of
146.505 and 146.535 as off-limits for ARRL-sponsored contests for a very
long time.  (Yes, that includes Field Day.)  I do support the use of the
listed FM calling freqs on the other bands (6m thru 70cm) due to low levels
of activity in many (if not most) areas.  I also recommend that those of
you who are not routinely FM ops spend some time prior to the major
contests listening (via the scan function on your rig) to simplex activity
in your area so that you do not inadvertantly drop onto a frequency used
for local nets or other functions.

One more comment: those of you who belong to local radio clubs in your area
- be sure to talk up the use of simplex for not only contests, but even
routine rag chews.  I have been amazed at how many ops, especially the
newer ones, have nothing but repeater freqs programmed into their rigs.
Some do have .52, but have never used it.

73, Dale
WA9ENA
EN-42 Iowa