[VHFcontesting] Trends in VHF/UHF Weak Signal Operations

GeorgeF av8tor at flash.net
Mon Feb 10 08:28:50 EST 2014

Don't get me wrong, I loved every bit of VHF+ SSB/CW (never cared for FM).

But it like eating a good potato chip, you can't stop at just 1 QSO.

When I first started (2005) and for the first several years there was a
lot of activity in Florida. I made a lot of QSO's, worked 7 countries &
28 states on 2 ssb/cw.  Then around 2009 activity dropped to near zero.
Even contests dropped to near zero.  Many hams I worked in previous
contest disappeared, it seemed for every 2 that dropped out there was
only 1 new guy to take his place...that's not growth (ok, maybe in
Washington DC that's considered growth). Here in the flat lands of
Florida it WAS easy to make Q's 200 miles out on 2m SSB with a yagi only
20' off the ground regardless of condx. Everyday there would be activity
on 144.200. For the last few years you sit on 144.200, hear a signal
maybe once a week if you're lucky, but if you're not the first to work
that guy someone else works him and they disappear to "run the
bands"....back to waiting another week for a Q.

In my last couple years on the air I was making more Q's on 2m FSK441
via Meteor Scatter.  The only problem is I'm not a big digital mode
guy.  However as long as I live I'll never forget the day I made 2 Q's
via JT65 EME at moon rise with 2 different stations in Italy. Yes they
were BIG GUNs and both Q's were easy 1 try Q's. I was a little gun, 6
element yagi, 350 watts and no elevation control on ant....that was the
day.  But those EME q's only come when there's an EME contest and there
are BIG GUNS on the air.

Today I get more enjoyment out of listening to Military Comms, 12
scanner and one is always making noise, many times 3-4 will be making
noise at the same time. The Military UHF band (225 - 380 MHz) is
non-stop with AWACS, Fighters, NORAD intercept missions, TACAMO E-6's,
aircraft training and the real treat is when an aircraft carrier parks
off our coast (about 8 times a year)...that is where I got hooked on
radios in the very beginning and where I moved back to. Guess you could
say we all like going back to our roots.

The VHF+ ham radio community has failed in marketing itself, yes some
are trying in small numbers but the overall marketing campaign hasn't
increase numbers as they continue to fall.  And forget the ARRL, they
left us long ago for a bigger market, the ECOM cop wanna be market.

The ARRL has 'cheapened' my license since being licensed in 2004, this
is another reason I'm considering not renewing my license. When I was
licensed you still needed 5WPM code to get on HF, I know CW long before
getting my license and CW was and still is my favorite mode. I got my
Tech Plus, a few months later got my General.  Then the ARRL says oh,
now EVERYONE can get on HF, no work required!  The very lease the ARRL
could have done was to automatically upgrade us Code Generals to the
next class.  I believe they did that back when the first offered the
NoCode Tech, didn't the old techs get upgraded automatically????

There are no right or wrong answers, just my story.  If its my story I'm
sure I'm not the only Ham (or ExHam) with the same story that just never
took the time to tell it.  You can learn from it or ignore it, its just
my story.

George - KI4FIA
www.MilAirComms.com