[VHFcontesting] LOTW and VHF

Peter Laws plaws at plaws.net
Tue Jun 24 22:48:46 EDT 2014

On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 4:29 PM, Dan Evans <dan.evans at insightbb.com> wrote:
> I'm afraid I'm one of the hold outs...
>
> I tried setting up LOTW a couple of years ago, and ran into problems.  Got
> the postcard from the ARRL, and had tons of trouble getting the software to
> work...  Finally gave it up.

TQSL prior to v1.12 (I think) was bad.  As in ugly.  It worked, but
man.  v1.13 was the first that  had been massaged by the new team.
They eventually rolled out a v2 and it's MUCH improved.  The two
separate programs of v1.x -- one to work with certificates, the other
to sign logs -- have been merged into a single program.  The new
version tells you when the config file needs updating (there is one
and was in 1.x) and helps you update it and warns you when your
certificate(s) is/are about to expire ... and helps you renew!
Imagine!

When LOTW almost died in late '12, one of the items that was
identified as having a negative impact on the system was a huge number
of duplicate uploads.  Evidently, some ops were uploading their entire
log to LOTW every time they added a new QSO.  The new version keeps
track of which QSOs have already been uploaded and prevents you from
sending the same items again (yes, it can be overridden).

Best of all, there is usable documentation that steps you through
common tasks (http://www.arrl.org/TrustedQSL/tQSL-help/).  It's really
a lot better.

> lot of other folks out there that will never try it again...  I know there
> are several OT's in my local club who still refuse to use computer
> logging...

My club, too, but that's a whole different matter and one that won't
be solved with better software.  I keep a paper log, too, though I
only summarize contests on paper (transcribe 500 contest Qs to paper?
I don't think so) and I send QSLs, too, but at ~$1.30 per domestic QSL
and nearly triple that for a DX direct card, I do most of my award
chasing electronically.

Two things have yet to change.  One is the initial authentication
required of non-FCC hams.  Those folks still have to send in physical
paperwork.  The other thing is the website.  It and its DB are on new
hardware, so things are zippier, but nothing save for big bug fixes is
being done on it for the time being.  The committee that is now
overseeing LOTW wants to pay down the "technical debt" that has
accumulated before adding new features.  HQ has even hired developers
specifically to maintain and extend the system.

Still lacking in the awards.  DXCC, WAS, Triple Play, VUCC, and WPX
but not 5BDXCC, 5BWAS, or WAC but those latter three an be claimed
manually based on credits already in the system.  Oddly, the system
knows if a QSO is good for FFMA, but there doesn't seem to be a way to
apply for the award.  <shrug>

Cheerleader for the League?  Hardly.  I just want more QSOs confirmed!