[VHFcontesting] Spots

Crownhaven crownhaven at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 29 12:19:31 EDT 2015

It looks like spotting might help some but not all.  If you're in the NE
where there might be hundreds (hopefully) of signals on the band, it
would be of value.  If you're using a mode where signals are generally
there, that might be good too but I only work CW/SSB. If you're in a an
area with very little to no activity, EM55bd, I'm not sure I see how it
would work.  For example, I know pretty much who is on in the states
surrounding me.  However, even if they are spotted on .200 where they
generally are anyway, I won't hear them if they aren't pointed right at
my grid.  And they won't hear me.  A spot isn't going to fix that unless
someone spots both of us and we just happen to turn our antennas in each
other's direction at the same time.  That ain't gonna happen.

The only way I see this working for me is if I might be in some kind of
chat room or I call them on the telephone.  :))))

Further, the cluster is typically jammed with spots.  You can filter and
filter further but that is somewhat of a hassle if you're challenged
with the software like I am.

I think the real answer is for me to move to New England or build a 500'
tower.

Steve, N4JQQ, EM55bd