[VHFcontesting] Classes in VHF Contesting.....

RT Clay rt_clay at bellsouth.net
Mon Jan 5 14:22:35 EST 2015

On Sunday, January 4, 2015 4:03 PM, Marshall-K5QE <k5qe at k5qe.com> wrote:

>Hello All....several folks have mentioned that we have way too many
>classes in VHF contesting now.  Yes, we have too many classes and yes,
>we have way too many "HF legacy" rules, but it looks like we may be on
>the way to improvement in that regard.
>
>DEFINITION:  A VHF Rookie is someone that is new to the VHF arena.
>These are the people that we are trying to attract.
>
>I do not like calling them beginners, newbies, or whatever as those
>terms are derogatory/pejorative/demeaning/.....  After all, some of the
>Rookies have 30 years in the HF world.  They are really not newbies or
>anything of the sort.  They are just beginning to learn of the wonderful
>world of VHF and up.  Others have just received their Technician ticket
>and are looking for their place in Amateur Radio.  We want that place to
>be in our world rather than the "shack on the belt" world.

As one of those "VHF rookies" I thought I would comment. I have been active in
HF contests for a long time (licensed 1986) but entered my first VHF contest
in 2014 (June VHF). I operated as qrp/portable on 6M and 2M. I don't
own equipment for any other bands (yet) and only have 10 watts on 2M.
I had a good time (210/59 and 9/8 on 6M and 2M) even though there is little
VHF activity in my area. I didn't work my own grid and I think I was the only
station on from EM53.

I had always thought about trying a VHF contest, but have never had equipment
for VHF+ until I bought a K3 which has 6M. I (and I think most other HF
contesters) do not own a "DC to daylight" rig- they are simply not competitive
for HF contest use. One of the reasons I entered qrp/portable (besides liking
field day type operations) was that it requires less equipment (lower
power, short feedlines).

I think the biggest source of new VHF contesters are active HF contesters.
Most now have 6M but none of the other bands. The one thing that would get
more HF-types on VHF would be a 6M single band category. Looking through the
June VHF contest results you will find a number of HF contester calls who
made a few contacts on 6M (also check 3830 since many of these guys don't
bother to submit a log). If there was a 6M category some of these stations
would be enticed to operate the whole contest on 6M because they would
actually have a category they could compete in. And after a few years,
some of these guys would get interested in the higher bands and try
the all-band categories. I don't buy the argument that this would
decrease higher band activity- more stations on in the contest is good, period.

I am against allowing internet announcements for all categories (and
probably won't come back if that change goes through). Internet
coordination will lead to too many manufactured qso's. There were several

times I could not complete a qso with my 10W signal- the other station just

could not pull out my full call or grid. If I could announce my call, band,
and grid those would have all likely been good qsos- the ear is very good
at hearing what it expects. But those are no longer radio qsos.

Tor
N4OGW/5
Starkville, MS EM53