[VHFcontesting] Regional 2 Meter Activity & Interest Vary Greatly

peter h n6ze at aol.com
Wed Sep 25 20:40:58 EDT 2019

25Sept19 (2 days past Equinox)

For the 2 meter SPRINT, I operated from a hilltop (1017 ft msl) in Thousand Oaks, CA (DM04ne), Ventura Co., CA. This is an unusual area because we have high mountain ranges in all directions except toward Pt.Mugu & Pt. Heuneme. Additionally, weak signal activity is not overly popular in SB & LA Sections. Almost always, I post VHF/UHF Contest announcements at local club chat rooms, ARRL SB Section, wswss, pnwvhfs, w6yx, etc.

I used an FT817 + 3 element yagi and worked 8 stations (ALL in Ventura County) on FM from 7 - 8 pm; despite repeated CQs on 144.200 I heard no one, much less working anyone.
Cumulative distance worked was ~56 km and best DX was 32 km to Eastern Ventura City. All QSOs were made with members of 2 local clubs. 4 of locals submitted scores to 3830: a RECORD.

By contrast, during the ARRL Sept. VHF Contest, I made 150 QSOs (70+ unique callsigns) on 5 bands from our CN87tw vacation location on a ridgeline ~500ft msl next to the Puget Sound.

I have stayed out of the voice - data controversy, but am still not delighted with how so much activity has moved to the FT modes. After many decades, I still like to key a microphone and attempt CW if signals are very poor.

bt73
Pete, N6ZE/K1FJM of DM04ne & CN87tw