[VHFcontesting] Arrow Antennas for terrestrial work

Peter Laws plaws0 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 26 16:32:43 EST 2020

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020 at 3:27 PM John Geiger <af5cc2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Most of the reviews I have seen for the Arrow Antenna dualband yagis are
> regarding their use on the satellites, which I think is what they are
> mainly made for.  Has anyone on the list used one of their dualband
> antennas mounted permanently for terrestrial work as well?  They do sell a
> mounting bracket for permanent mounting to a mast.
>
> Do they seem well made enough to withstand the outside elements for a few
> years on end?  Do they seem to perform as well as other antennas which have
> approximately the same boom size and number of elements?

Asking anything on AMSAT-BB is ... well, you'll see ...

You will always be 90 deg off on one band.  This is even an issue on
some of the LEOs where you need to flip the antenna 90 deg to maximize
gain between transmit and receive.   I think with a little
weatherproofing and maybe some loctite, they'd probably be OK but they
are NOT designed for that service, so who knows.  Mine has the
diiplexer in the handle and that surely would need to be potted or
something.  Two feedlines would probably be better.

They have a clamp mount that lets you clamp  the boom to a variety of
shapes and it would probably fit around a mast ... but it's not
designed to be permanent.

They do work great for portable satellite work.