[VHFcontesting] K1DY 2M sprint

Bill Olson callbill at hotmail.com
Wed Sep 22 13:15:53 EDT 2021

Hi all, Well that was pretty surprising!! Before the Sprint I was hoping just to work W1AIM in FN34. I have been missing Chip lately and now that my antenna rotates, I can point west.. I had noticed a couple days before the sprint that the Hepburn VHF map was NOT all black like it is normally, so hoped conditions would be above average. I was not disappointed! There was excellent tropo down the coast and a bit to the west as well. Hadn't seen anything like it since the VHF contest last September! Most contacts were on SSB but at one point I went grid hunting on FT8 and picked up a few VE3's. Final tally was 48 qso's in 24 grids. 35 on SSB, one on CW, 12 on FT-8. best DX SW was KJ4ZYB in FM07 on SSB out in the Blue Ridge mountains of VA. that was 757 miles. best DX west was VE3SCP in EN93 at 560 miles. Didn't work anything east or north, though I have to admit I was pretty focused in the other direction so might have missed some. I did work my own grid and also FN53 but not FN44 or FN55, contiguous grids which I normally do work.

anyway in maybe 3 hours operating time: 48q's x 24 grids = 1152 score

thanks to all who got on!

bill, k1DY in Maine, FN54