[WriteLog] Saving your configuration

Gil Baron gbaron@home.com
Thu, 04 Oct 2001 06:22:55 -0500

--=====================_421211950==_.ALT

At 19:31 10/3/2001, Jerry Pixton wrote:
>Gil, and others,
>
>There is a technique used by many of us. I first heard about it from Dick
>Stevens, N1RCT. It makes use of Bat files to save and reuse a copy of the
>writelog.ini,  and others like Fkeys.ini. Also can move your audio wave
>files into a general area.
>
>I have a ham directory on my "data" drive (so it gets backed up) that has
>the following subdirectories (contest, inifiles, qso, satellite, and
>wavefiles). The contest directory holds all the logs and reports from past
>contests. The inifiles directory holds ini files specialized for each
>contest. The qso directory holds monthly writelog files for general dxcc
>contacts. The satellite directory has monthly writelog files for my
>satellite contacts. And finally the wavefile directory is where all the
>wave files are kept for each contest.
>
>To get ready for each contest, I make new directories, make new copies of
>the batch file to save the contest ini files and to initialize the same
>files. Then I set up the WriteLog for that contest, copying the Function
>key message file from old contests. When all is setup, you save the
>writelog contest file and save the configuration files. I also make a
>backup copy of the contest file just before the test in case I have to
>restart things during the test. Also I make a copy for testing purposes to
>try logging contacts to see if all the behaviors are right.
>

>Here is a copy of the save file from last weekend --
>copy c:\winnt\writelog.ini d:\ham\inifiles\cqww_rtty_dx.ini
>copy c:\ham\fkeys\FKeys.ini d:\ham\inifiles\Fkeys\Fkeys_cqww_rtty_dx.ini
>pause
>exit
>
>And the init file

>copy c:\winnt\writelog.ini d:\ham\inifiles\writelog.sav
>copy d:\ham\inifiles\cqww_rtty_dx.ini c:\winnt\writelog.ini
>copy d:\ham\inifiles\Fkeys\Fkeys_cqww_rtty_dx.ini c:\ham\fkeys\FKeys.ini
>pause
>exit
>
>This way you can be using your general qso files right up to the contest -
>working all those stations testing. And then switch files in the last 10
>minutes or so.
>
>Hope this gives you some ideas.

This is what I have been saying and thinking about. It is something I have
not wanted to do. It is just the way you have to do it with TRLOG. I want a
widows program to work the way a windows program should work. I will do
this if forced but would much rather have it done right.

Nevertheless, thanks for posting some nice batch code.

>Jerry, W6IHG
>

>At 08:55 AM 10/2/2001 -0500, Gil Baron wrote:
>>If you save your configuration and then also save the contest then all is
>>well if you open that contest again. The problem comes if you try to set
>>the window size for the log window to a smaller for RTTY for instance so
>>you have room for the RTTY window and then save it. If you go back to the
>>other contest with the large window it is set at the small size. It also
>>requires you to say if you want RTTY or not when you save the
>>configuration. This seems to indicate that the information is saved in
>>the ini file and applies to ALL contests and that would be true even if
>>it is a CW contest, still RTTY comes up and still the window is too small.
>>
>>It would be nice to save this data in the contest files and or have a
>>name of ini that corresponds to the contest.
>>
>>It would also be nice if the ini file were saved in the program directory
>>and not in the system directory.
>>

>>Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
>>44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
>>"Baila como nadie te ve"

>Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
>http://www.pixos.com/designs/RadioTuner/
>jpixton@shentel.net

Gil Baron http://members.home.com/gbaron
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'
"Baila como nadie te ve"

--=====================_421211950==_.ALT

At 19:31 10/3/2001, Jerry Pixton wrote:<br>
There is a technique used by many of us. I first heard about it from Dick
Stevens, N1RCT. It makes use of Bat files to save and reuse a copy of the
writelog.ini,&nbsp; and others like Fkeys.ini. Also can move your audio
wave files into a general area.<br><br>
I have a ham directory on my &quot;data&quot; drive (so it gets backed
up) that has the following subdirectories (contest, inifiles, qso,
satellite, and wavefiles). The contest directory holds all the logs and
reports from past contests. The inifiles directory holds ini files
specialized for each contest. The qso directory holds monthly writelog
files for general dxcc contacts. The satellite directory has monthly
writelog files for my satellite contacts. And finally the wavefile
directory is where all the wave files are kept for each
contest.<br><br>
To get ready for each contest, I make new directories, make new copies of
the batch file to save the contest ini files and to initialize the same
files. Then I set up the WriteLog for that contest, copying the Function
key message file from old contests. When all is setup, you save the
writelog contest file and save the configuration files. I also make a
backup copy of the contest file just before the test in case I have to
restart things during the test. Also I make a copy for testing purposes
to try logging contacts to see if all the behaviors are right.<br><br>
Here is a copy of the save file from last weekend --<br>
------------------------------------------<br>
copy c:\winnt\writelog.ini d:\ham\inifiles\cqww_rtty_dx.ini<br>
copy c:\ham\fkeys\FKeys.ini
d:\ham\inifiles\Fkeys\Fkeys_cqww_rtty_dx.ini<br>
pause<br>
exit<br>
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------<br><br>
And the init file<br><br>
--------------------------------------------<br>
copy c:\winnt\writelog.ini d:\ham\inifiles\writelog.sav<br>
copy d:\ham\inifiles\cqww_rtty_dx.ini c:\winnt\writelog.ini<br>
copy d:\ham\inifiles\Fkeys\Fkeys_cqww_rtty_dx.ini
c:\ham\fkeys\FKeys.ini<br>
pause<br>
exit<br>
------------------------------------------------<br><br>
This way you can be using your general qso files right up to the contest
- working all those stations testing. And then switch files in the last
10 minutes or so.<br><br>
Hope this gives you some ideas.<br>
This is what I have been saying and thinking about. It is something I
have not wanted to do. It is just the way you have to do it with TRLOG. I
want a widows program to work the way a windows program should work. I
will do this if forced but would much rather have it done
right.<br><br>
Nevertheless, thanks for posting some nice batch code.<br><br>
At 08:55 AM 10/2/2001 -0500, Gil Baron wrote:<br>
then also save the contest then all is well if you open that contest
again. The problem comes if you try to set the window size for the log
window to a smaller for RTTY for instance so you have room for the RTTY
window and then save it. If you go back to the other contest with the
large window it is set at the small size. It also requires you to say if
you want RTTY or not when you save the configuration. This seems to
indicate that the information is saved in the ini file and applies to ALL
contests and that would be true even if it is a CW contest, still RTTY
comes up and still the window is too small.<br><br>
It would be nice to save this data in the contest files and or have a
name of ini that corresponds to the contest.<br><br>
It would also be nice if the ini file were saved in the program directory
and not in the system directory.<br><br>
Gil Baron
44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'<br>
&quot;Baila como nadie te ve&quot;</blockquote><br>
Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC<br>
jpixton@shentel.net<br>
<x-sigsep><p></x-sigsep>
W0MN 44.08208 N 92.51263 W 1055'<br>
&quot;Baila como nadie te ve&quot; <br>