[WriteLog] IARU Log irregularities

Bob Henderson bob@cytanet.com.cy
Mon, 15 Jul 2002 07:45:41 -0000

Thanks for the interest in my posting and the various responses so far.
These have prompted me to look further.

To try to get to the bottom of the unrecognised mults I dumped a logfile in
Wk1 format which I then manipulated in Excel.  I sorted it on the mult
column so as to make it easy to count the number of HQ Qs and hence mults I
should have.  I counted 141 HQ Qs but only 137 of them are recognised as
mults by WL.  On my previous check within WL I only spotted 3 unrecognised
mults so this was worth doing even if all it did is find me another one.

In all four cases the HQ designator is present and correct in the zone
column and in each case WL has allocated one point for the qso.  Again in
each case WL has failed to flag them as multipliers.  Although, when I look
at the WL mult screen for HQ stations this shows correctly the number of
bands on which I have worked these stations.

I made a copy of my log file and as an experiment changed the HQ designator
on one of these unmarked mults to an imaginary HQ designator.  I changed
DARC for my 15m Q with DA0HQ to HRL.  WL immediately credited the QSO as a
multiplier.  I replaced HRL with DARC and WL once again withdrew multiplier
credit for the QSO.

I am always hesitant before shouting BUG but maybe we have one here.  I
worked DA0HQ on 5 bands the mult check screen shows five band mults for DARC
but only four of them are credited as mults in the log and in the score
summary.

Fortunately, the log requirement for this contest is Cabrillo which has no
embedded scoring other than the claimed score total line.  So, I plan to
manually calculate the credit I should have for the four unrecognised mults
and manually adjust my claimed score in the Cabrillo output file.  Hopefully
the Cabrillo log check engine used by the contest committee will correctly
score it!

For the four Q's where folks sent me their CQ zone or age, I plan to leave
what they sent me in the zone column rather than correct them but I will
reduce my score accordingly to avoid claiming inappropriate multiplier
credit for these.  I guess I can alert the judges to what I have done in the
soap box field.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks

Bob 5B4AGN, P3F, ZC4ZM