[WriteLog] BandMap for M/2

WA9ALS - John wa9als@starband.net
Mon, 14 Oct 2002 20:48:07 -0500

> 1. Can I use the mouse to move the center frequency (either scrolling
> with the wheel or click and drag)

I don't think so.  The center freq is the frequency of your radio if you're
doing rig control.  If you're not, then set the center via right-click menu.

> 2. How do I use the scroll wheel on the mouse to change the frequency
> of the rig?

Click in the ENTRY window to put focus there.  Then moving the mousewheel
should tune the radio, no matter where the mouse pointer is on your screen.
If you click on the bandmap and thus give it the focus, then mousewheel
tuning doesn't work.

> 3. How do I make computer A see the calls added to the bandmap on
> computer B using %b or mapcallonspace? (the logs are networked and they
are
> sharing packet spots across the network).

Hmmm..  I don't remember the answer to this, but it's been discussed here.
I'm not sure that's possible right now.

> 4. When I close the BandMap and try to open it again nothing
> happens...does anyone else see this?

No, I can close a bandmap, and then right-click in the Callsign area of the
entry window and choose Open Bandmap and it properly appears with center
freq tuned to the rig freq.

> Question about the new Multi 2 for CQWW:  I was only able to set one Run
and
> one Multi station.  Is this an issue since both stations are technically
Run
> stations?

In the CQ WW RTTY where we operated M2, we didn't "set" either station, but
in the Networked Frequencies window, the station would be marked as R or
not, depending on what we were doing.  I thought I remembered seeing where
to "set" a radio as Run or Mult, but it was greyed out for the RTTY
contest - However, I can't even find that right now!

> Note on networking:
> When I networked the computer, I had to use the name of the computer
> (Windows setting) as the "Computer Name to be used to connect to this
> station".  I tried to use a different name and it didn't work.

The default comes up with the Windows name of the computer.  I don't
understand why WL lets us change it.  Name your computer in Windows what you
want to use during the contest.  For most purposes, they get called A and B
or 0 and 1 anyway.  HI

> Does anyone know what directories need to be shared if any for networking
> work?  I didn't play around with this so much and just ended up sharing
> everything (network is behind a firewall) but will it work if I don't
share
> the folder where the logs are located but have a public with the network
log
> that can be accessed by all computers?

It doesn't work that way.  The computers don't "share" a common log.
Rather, they share Qs with each other to produce a complete log on each
computer.  That's one reason AA5AU has stated why he prefers to do SO2R
using 2 computers instead of doing SO2R on a single machine - Using 2
networked computers, he has a backup of the whole log on each computer -
almost failsafe!  HI

WriteLog's directions for networking can be a bit confusing.  Wl has you
setup a contest with all the appropriate columns, e.g. log which radio makes
the QSO etc and then SHARE that directory/file.  Then open it and save with
a different name (save it anywhere, not in the shared folder).  Then opeen
the shared contest/folder from the second machine and save it with a
different name/location.  This exercise can make you get the idea that your
log is the SHARED contest log, but THAT's WRONG.  Each machine has a complet
copy of the log, and it doesn't share anything with the shared contest you
created EXCEPT THE FORMAT.

The reason WL has you create that shared contest/log is simply so that the
second computer on the network can open it JUST TO MAKE SURE IT HAS THE
IDENTICAL FORMAT TO THE LOG THE FIRST COMPUTER IS USING (e.g. same number of
columns etc.)  This is someewhat analogous to the good practice of copying
and pasting URLs into email msgs instead of relying on memory and typing
skill to get it right! HI

Hope this helps some, Zev!  73 - John, WA9ALS