[WriteLog] Serial Numbers and IOTA (as example)

MM0ANT mail at mm0ant.co.uk
Sun Jan 26 23:39:38 EST 2003

I asked this last year and still do not feel an answer has come forward,
I only bring it up as the subject of serial numbers, and fixes, seems to be
making a revival.

During IOTA as a M/M operation a lot of groups require a solid form of serial
number generation. At present there seems to solid way to confirm you are
giving out correct serial numbers. I would take it as far as to say I can confirm
that, in normal operation, over 30% of all serial numbers issued would be
incorrect (This data supplied by a recent CQWW SSB entry). During tests
pre-CQWW2002 I could reliably get every QSO as a failed serial-dupe. Thankfully
CQWW wasn't serial-number based as if it was, Writelog would not have been used.

If two users pre-type a callsign into the software and prepare for the final details
the software will most likely give both contacts the same serial.
I know a way round this has been suggested; To only start the QSO logging after
all data confirmed but this is _seriously_unacceptable._ It is simply not possible
to operate competitively in this way over a 24 hour period.

Software like NA and CT also have problems with this operation, but have better
work around's in my opinion. The problem with their systems is the dodgy networking
and cluster support requirements. Writelog really rules the roost at present, yet it
cannot issue serial numbers for a M/M team.

Is there likely to be a fix before IOTA? - One which will issue serial numbers correctly.

If not, Is it possible to drop serial numbers into the software via your SDK set? I would be
more than interested to try and find a better solution if this "SDK drop-in" is possible.

Thanks for the time taken to reply.

Robert
www.MM0ANT.co.uk

"No one knows what he can do until he tries."Publilius Syrus