[WriteLog] CW questions

Jerry Flanders jeflanders at comcast.net
Mon Aug 9 17:26:05 EDT 2004

At 18:10 8/9/04, you wrote:
>I have not played around with WL much on CW.  I have come over from TRLog.
>
>With TR there is a search and pounce mode and a run mode.  Does WL have
>similar functionality?
>
>I am used to entering a call hitting tab or insert or whatever and having
>the program send the exchange.  After entering in the sent info logging the
>contact and having is send r tu call na etc.
>
>Am I doing something wrong or do you have to hit the function keys each time
>to send the various parts of the exchange.
>
>Mike
>W0MU

Reposted from January this year:=======================================

4-5 years ago I developed a single function key system to work on both RTTY
and CW contesting, both run and S&P modes, and to accomodate CW practice
using PED (A CW contest training program).

My setup is exactly as Bob describes below, even his exact function key
usage (F4, F5, etc). It would have saved me a couple years "polishing" my
setup and ini file if I could have read Bob's notes back then. I see minor
differences in our ini files, but the functionality seems to be the same.

I recommend this setup. There is no special set of RUN mode or S&P mode
keys. You simply press a different key to end the QSO in RUN mode (numpad
+) than you do in S&P mode (kbrd ENTER).

Those wanting to practice with PED or similar software will find the same
key sequence in use there for routine operations.  CW practice, CW contest,
RTTY contest - all can use the same function key sequences for routine
operations. Familiarity is good. A single keyboard template for everything.

It would be nice if Bob's setup could be posted on one of the tutorial
pages (including a keyboard template)for guys to try out. I think most
would stick with it.

Of course, typing the call and hitting the space don't apply for RTTY
contesting, where you just click on the call.

Jerry W4UK