[WriteLog] CW questions

Clive Whelan clive.whelan at btinternet.com
Mon Aug 9 19:30:16 EDT 2004

 you wrote:
>I have not played around with WL much on CW.  I have come over from TRLog.
>
>With TR there is a search and pounce mode and a run mode.  Does WL have
>similar functionality?
>
>I am used to entering a call hitting tab or insert or whatever and having
>the program send the exchange.  After entering in the sent info logging the
>contact and having is send r tu call na etc.
>
>Am I doing something wrong or do you have to hit the function keys each
time
>to send the various parts of the exchange.
>
>Mike
>W0MU

As you will no doubt by now have gathered, your assumption above is correct.
As someone else pointed out, it is often TR migrants who hanker after such
functionality. In my view, this is simply not a failure to adapt, but
because ( for the dedicated CW op at least), a "mode" switch is such an
important issue. It is only in this way that the <ENTER> key can be truly
intelligent, and perform the same function, in both RUN and S&P modes.
Believe me it is not for the lack of asking that this has never been
implemented, and I for one having been banging on that particular door for
about three years now.

In my view the addition of a mode switch would make WL truly the most
functional (CW) logger bar none, which presently just evades its grasp, and
with which it still vies with TR for supremacy. Is WL overall the better
logger? The answer must be yes, and I for one certainly would not have
deserted TR otherwise; the Windows capability being the deciding factor.
After all who wants to stay with the flaky Win9x operating systems,or run a
dedicated DOS machine, when XP offers so much more, but will effectively not
support DOS legacy loggers such as TR?

In my view some of the best CW ops- but by no means all- are still with TR.
Are they dinosaurs? yes I think they are, but I can certainly appreciate
their perspective, with which I find it difficult to argue in the absence of
a mode switch in WL; it really is a fine balance. So Mike let's keep banging
on Wayne's door, and perhaps one day it might just happen.

73

Clive
GW3NJW