[WriteLog] Writelog-CT17-Radios

Richard Zalewski dick.w7zr at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 10:31:33 EST 2004

Wayne et al,

Thanks for the explanation on the port setups.  I did already have a
[Rigs] section.  I changed the comm3 setup to 1 stop bit.  It of
course had been set to 2.  What improved immediately was there is no
more "No Rig".  So that problem that I had reported way back was in
fact that change you talked aboiut post 10.41.  However the spot
problem still exists.  It sometimes seems better.  One thing does seem
better is the call gets to the entry window now but the rig does not
change frequency without a couple or 4 extra clicks.  I will continue
to experiment with this aspect.

Dick

On Tue, 14 Dec 2004 12:30:35 -0000, W. Wright, W5XD <w5xd at writelog.com> wrote:
> >No solution to your problem, but get the same thing regarding "No
> >Rig".  Unfortunately, once the "No Rig" shows up it stays until the Port
> >Window is pulled down and selecting OK.  Then the radio is once again
> >recognized.  The radio is an IC746 using a homemade CAT interface.  This
> >problem only occurs with Writelog.  >>
> >
> >For what it may be worth, here is my experience. I have a home brew
> interface
> >with a 756 Pro. It worked perfectly with Windows 95. When I installed
> Windows
> >98SE, I would frequently get the same condition as Mike explains above and
> >could "fix" the same way. Now that I'm running XP professional, everything
> >works perfectly again. The only change was the OS.  Go figure.   I only run
> WL, so
> >don't know about any other applications.
>
> I suspect this is caused by the number-of-stop-bits setting WL is
> using when setting up the COM ports. Way back since about 1991, WL
> has set all COM ports for rig control to 2 stop bits. But certain
> combinations of OS, COM port hardware (USB? or on motherboard?),
> and rig don't work properly with 2. You can change an INI setting
> to tell WL to use 1 stop bit on a comm port. From the [RIGS] topic
> in the WL online help:
>
> The COMn:= settings in [RIGS], as of version 10.41, are used for rig control
> (only)—but just to control the baud rate and number of stop bits. WriteLog
> always sets no parity and 8 bit characters for rig control, regardless of
> the COMn: settings.
>
> COM1:=9800,n,8,1,
> COM2:=4800,n,8,2,
>
> That very last digit is the number-of-stop-bits. Try creating a [RIGS]
> section
> in your INI file and set stop-bits to 1.
>
> Wayne

Tnx es 73
Dick W7ZR