[WriteLog] Serial Port Addition/FSK

John Fleming john at wa9als.com
Sun Dec 19 06:52:33 EST 2004

> 1st.  I remember reading that running FSK in WL with serial adapters
> required the adapter to be capable of running 5-bit code

Baudot RTTY is a 5-bit code, each character being specified by 5 bits.  This
is different than, the more commonly seen these days, 7- and 8-bit code used
to talk to radios (rig control) and telephone modems.  The specs for the
serial adapter -SHOULD- state specifically what it can do in this regard,
but they usually don't.  And they usually support only 7- and/or 8-bit code.
For example, a few years ago I bought a Rocketport PCI 8-serial port card,
only to figure out later that it only supports 7- and 8-bit code.  The
Connect Tech White Heat USB serial adapter supposedly supports 5-bit code,
but most of us have had problems with timing and other things that prevent
it's use for RTTY.

You need to check out Don's pages at http://www.rttycontesting.com/usb.htm
and http://www.rttycontesting.com/microham/mk.htm

The microHAM keyer apparently does FSK nicely, but it's not the only option.
GL - 73 - John, WA9ALS