[WriteLog] Requested 3 Enter key sequence for RTTY in WL

Jerry Pixton jpixton at shentel.net
Thu Apr 13 07:54:54 EDT 2006

Jim,

I am not arguing against the request. I made it many years ago also.

I am only saying that there is more to the problem then having the cursor
not move when I click on a call but still move when I click on part of a
report. The "expected" behavior from Writelog is for the cursor to move.
That is what we have all learned will happen when we click on data. To
suddenly break this expected behavior just to use the "Enter send..."
functions needs some careful thinking through. It is not simple because it
ripples everywhere!

I too have spent much time trying to understand the behavior of the "Enter
sends..." and why it doesn't work with a mouse. I also would like to just
click thru the whole qso without moving my mouse any further than the call
and the report.

I too run a SO2R station and am working hard to reduce inefficient hand
movement so as to increase my rate. I too have mapped the "scroll wheel" to
the Enter key and tried that.

I too would like to see an "Enter sends..." function that works. But
without breaking the expected behaviors of all the other function keys.

Think thru and try what happens when you are using the other keys (not
Enter) to try to send an exchange and the cursor is in the wrong field -
that is not where you expected it. Most of the time you mouse click garbage
over you call entry field because it might be alpha numeric (and how many
stations send numbers and text all together)

Most of us remove the RST field after the call field just because when the
cursor stops there instead of in the Report field we screw up.

I am just saying "Be careful, there is a sand trap there". Your well laid
out key sequence has inconsistent behavior for the cursor when I happen to
use the Enter key vs happen to use some other key to send a message. We all
get quicker when things behave the way we expect EVERY time.

We want to be able to use the Enter Key AND all the other keys at the same
time - not switch in and out of an "Enter Sends..." mode. It is bad enough
to learn to use a Shift-Enter to "log" (instead of Enter) without having
all the other keys change behavior when I what to use the "Enter sends..."

BTW the 1st and 3rd states of "Enter sends" work right now - you just have
to do something different to send the report. A mouse that has more buttons
(I have a five button mouse) works to do that. I can send a full run
sequence without removing my hand from the mouse and not move the mouse to
the Fkeys panel.

I think I pointed out that possibly one way to achieve a solution would be
to look to see if you have a call sign in the Call field (even when the
cursor is in the report field) and send the "run" report. And then move to
next state which sends the qrz message (don't know if the validity of the
report fields needs to be checked here or just leave that to the logging
function as it is now). Right now it seems that the position of the cursor
is what triggers a state change for the "Enter sends" function.  I think
this is the dependency that must be removed in order for the "Enter
sends..." function to work without breaking the other key's behavior.

Jerry, W6IHG

Dr. Jerry R. Pixton, PIXOS Designs LLC
jpixton at shentel.net