[WriteLog] Networking anomaly

Peter E. Beedlow nn9k at arrl.net
Wed Mar 12 13:57:24 EDT 2008

We ran into something very interesting during the Wisconsin QSO Party and
wonder if anyone else has seen the same problem.

Equipment:
1st PC-Dell 7500 450M , 1G RAM running Windows 2000 and Writelog V10.65C.
Rig interface-serial port and CW interface-parallel port.

2nd PC--Gateway laptop, 1.6M CPU, 2G RAM running Vista and Writelog V10.65C.
Rig interface and CW via Microham device.

Both machines had static IP address and were connected with a 4 foot
Ethernet cross-over cable. All networking functions worked correctly except
for the anomaly.

During the contest we wondered why the QSO count and scoring was different
between the two machines. What we found examining the logs after the contest
was that some QSOs were dupes on one machine but not on the other. We the
cause but not why the QSO information was not transferred from one machine
to the other correctly.

Here is how it came about. If my last QSO in Rock county was with W9XXX and
I sent him QRX and changed counties in the software and then reentered
W9XXX, pressed the Insert key to send him the new report, Racine, the
contact would be entered correctly in my machine (Dell 7500) but would show
as a dupe, old county, on the Gateway. Any other contacts made on the Dell
or the Gateway would be transferred correctly.

As slow as it is the Dell did pickup the new county information, did send
the correct report and did log it correctly. It's just the data transfer to
the Gateway that was incorrect since the old county information was
transferred.

Any clues from you multi-multi guys or programers out there?

Pete, NN9K