[WriteLog] Practice. and not only Dual-CQ--novice, S&P contesters can, too

Wayne, W5XD w5xd at writelog.com
Mon Aug 8 14:22:49 EDT 2016

The Dual-CQ capability has gotten some recent discussion on this
reflector. In the process of building that "really fast race car" to
quote N9RV in the May, 2016 NCJ, Tom, W2SC, and I collaborated to build
this simulator:

    http://writelog.com/downloads/contest-super-simulator

Here is the full quote:

> N9RV: "It sounds a lot like a really fast race car. You've got it
> build, and now you need to learn how to drive it."

To paraphrase Tom's answer: he practiced. A lot. Tom used a hardware
simulator to start out, but that effort--which succeeded, by the
way--led to the development of this software-only simulator to get the
cost down.

Try learning to use the Dual CQ SO2R thing during a contest weekend, and
the rest of us, to extend the metaphor, will see only a pillar of smoke
from a wiped-out race car.

The Contest Super Simulator (which I hereinafter may abbreviate "CSS")
covers from expertise level zero--complete beginner--all the way to
world class. Yours truly built in the novice capability because, well, I
can't test it any other way.

You can practice on one radio. You can turn the CW down as slow or as
fast as you want. The operators in the simulation will wait around quite
a long time for you to get your act together and try different things,
like adjust your f-key memories. And they won't make any postings on the
internet about whether you are a LID.

CSS is available for free to all contesters. It works with the free,
demo version of WriteLog 12. You don't have to buy my product. This
simulation tool is my donation to the contesting community. This is my
way to remove excuses. I want to see the level of expertise on the air
going up. Better operators make everything about ham radio better.

To summarize, the WriteLog team has recently made three different FREE
products available:
a) The demo version of WriteLog: http://writelog.com/demo
b) The practice simulator:
http://writelog.com/downloads/contest-super-simulator
c) The Dual-CQ run mode:
https://github.com/w5xd/WriteLogRunMode/blob/master/DownloadInstaller/WriteLogRunModeV.2.3.zip

We expect that those attracted by the price of the demo will discover
that to really get the best contest results every weekend, they'll
eventually break down and part with $30 US to get the unlimited WriteLog
version.

Wayne, W5XD