[WWYC] CQWW SSB 9A7P(9A6XX) SOAB LP

Hrvoje Horvat hrle at ipazin.net
Wed Oct 29 01:02:45 EST 2003

Hey crazy people,

I can say I'm pretty much dissapointed with the score after I've logged 2000
QSOs. Only 1.5M as a final score - with so many QSOs sounds truly stupid.
However I must dissapoint Ken, ON4CCP working as OT3R that on claim I have
3,000 points more of him (UBN will be very important). Imagine 48 hours
battle with 3,000 points difference on the end! I started very agressive and
I can say I've made a good advantage over the guys as I reached 1000 QSOs in
just about 15 hours (except CQ0T... if you wonder he made 4000 QSOs low
power within 40 hours). After those 15 hours everything went downwards;
problems with modulation, RFI between stations, windows crashing => using
just one radio and no DVK.

It was so great to talk to all of my team mates except L44DX... not a single
tone from LW1DTZ :-( survived?
Also nice G0MTN sweep (could make it 6 if I had 160m antenna). Others were
close but 40m was just too QRMy.

Thanks for all the comments about me (specialy ON5ZO - next time I'll be
acting deaf when I hear some lid at OT3H calling CQ without answers on 80m
SSB at 4-5 in the morning :-))

Since this was rare moment of me working SSB (not as rare as DJ1YFK but
still I can say rare) I uploaded one audio (recorded by SP1DID) on my site
for those that listened to M0CGF's recording where I sounded like I'm deep
in 80s and hardly talking >> this is much better and if you have problems
with it I can defend myself that this was at 2 in the morning:
http://rkp.ice.hr/hrle/9a7p.wav

This is it, one of the most memorable contests and finnaly I could feel some
WWYC emotions on the air....

I must specialy compliment OH6GDX working 40+ hours and only 592 qsos
logged,... that must've been a big struggle and LZ5AZ finnaly worked after
at least 3 years. I havent worked with but amazing how 9A5AEI operated with
most awful setup I've ever seen (4W into a 3m high 20m dipole). He said he
might do it again in CW part :-) Truly brave!

I see many people are already getting hot for SOAB LP in CW part. Lets see
how many people interested and we can make battle of the battles!

Oh yeah.. have I told you guys that we must throw CQ0T out of low power
categories? Anybody wants to sponsor some old amplifier (300-500W) for
CT1ILT so he moves out?!? He doesnt have amplifier and he will take all
plaques (meant for us - the poor ones from deep holes) if we dont get him
something to join high power :-)

Thanks, thanks, thanks all and see you in real battle - CW!

73 de Hrle - 9A6XX

----- from 3830 ---

CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: 9A7P
Operator(s): 9A6XX
Station: 9A7P

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Pazin
Operating Time (hrs): 48
Radios: SO2R

  160:    0     0        0
   80:  532    10       59
   40:  158    11       62
   20:  498    21       65
   15:  455    23       84
   10:  448    22       86
------------------------------

Club: Worldwide Young Contesters

Comments:

2x TS440S
2L Quad (20-10m), GP (20-10m), dipole 40m, dipole 40/80m

Only partial 2nd radio operating, mostly running with one radio.
Europeans seemed to like me (1407 EU QSOs -> 67%) but I just couldnt fight
out
for a freq on 10-20m for a decent DX run. First day 1378 qsos and 2nd day
only
713 made it being really a nightmare.

80m was a big surprise for me but 80m is EU only with not more then 20 DXes.
Either that or I could sit and cry :-)
40m is not even worth mentioning.. people with S9+40 where not workable.
Upper bands were good but if I could only find a clear run freq...

9A7P shack as it should've been all the time:
http://rkp.ice.hr/hrle/pics/wwssb200322.jpg
My tech support 9A5AEI was doing experiments on local mountain as 9A1CEI:
http://rkp.ice.hr/hrle/pics/9a1cei.jpg

CW part will be much more fun!

73 de Hrle - 9A6XX