[Yaesu] FT-890 Data In and Out

Nate Bargmann n0nb at networksplus.net
Sun Dec 28 20:22:56 EST 2003

* Jim Johnson - KC4HW <jim at kc4hw.net> [2003 Dec 28 19:46 -0600]:
> Trying to help a friend with interfacing his FT-890 to a multi-mode
> terminal unit.  Not sure if I understand what the data in/out plug on the
> back of the radio is for.
>
> Is the Data In/Out for AFSK?  If so, I presume that the Data In is for the
> AFSK output of the terminal unit and the Data Out is the AFSK output to
> the terminal unit?

Per the back page in my manual:

"This 3-contact mini phone jack provides constant-level receiver audio
output on the ring contact, and accepts transmit audio input on the tip
contact, for use with a packet TNC or other terminal unit.  Input level
should be 20 ~ 40 mV at 2 ~ 3 Kohms, and output is 30 mV peak at 600
ohms. (See page 27)."

In this case input is TNC to radio and output is radio to TNC.  Per the
diagram on page 27 the Data In/Out jack is shown as the port for AFSK
data.

> Has anyone successfully interface a terminal unit to this port?  Certainly
> we could interface to the mic connector and the speaker output.

I've not on the '890, but I have on the '920 and that was interesting!

> Anyway, anyone got any help for us.  Thanks and HNY!

What else do you need to know?

73, de Nate >>

 Internet | n0nb at networksplus.net               | free since January 1998.
 Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           |  "Debian, the choice of
  Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |     a GNU generation!"
             http://www.qsl.net/n0nb/           |   http://www.debian.org