[Yaesu] Re: Yaesu? or InRad? filters for new Yaesu FT-1000MP Field?

Art Searle w2nra at birdsandbeacons.com
Tue Dec 30 23:28:10 EST 2003

Hi Nate,

Thank you for the response.  You were the only one.  BTW the
radio was delivered today.  I think I'll give the InRads a
try.  You get more filter choices and I read in the eHam
reviews that you can return them.  Also there is the January
1st InRad sale in 2 days.

Here are the InRad Filters I'm planning to buy.
For SSB:
711-B 1.8 kHz for 8.2 MHz 2nd IF
720-C 2.0 kHz for 455 kHz 3rd IF (Collins Mechanical)
For CW:
701-B 400 Hz for 8.2 MHz 2nd IF
705-C 500 Hz for 455 kHz 3rd IF (Collins Mechanical)
704-C 250 Hz for 455 kHz 3rd IF
For Sub-receiver:
705-C 500 Hz for 455 kHz 3rd IF (Collins Mechanical)

I don't do much SSB except chasing DX so I don't need Hi-Fi
wide SSB and I don't like real narrow CW even in a crowd.

A co-worker of mine also has the 920.  Great radio and the
price is way down.

Thank you, 73 es Happy New Year,

Art

W2NRA
www.w2nra.com/qrp

> * Art Searle <w2nra at birdsandbeacons.com> [2003 Dec 29
19:40 -0600]:
> > My new and naked (no filters) Yaesu FT-1000MP Field is
> > racing it's way to me in the big brown truck.  I am
going to
> > be buying 6 IF filters for it.  Hint: I am exclusively a
CW
> > op.
> >
> > 1) Where can I get test information on InRad vs Yaesu
> > filters?
>
> I'm not sure about the Yaesu filters, but INRAD usually
has their filter
> curves online.  One clue is the number of poles the filter
is advertised
> to have.  I believe INRAD filters generally have eight
poles and I've
> seen that some radios have six pole filters as an option.
>
> > 2) What has been your experience with InRad filters?
>
> I like them.  They work as advertised and the workmanship
is of high
> quality.  I have a 400 Hz INRAD filter in my FT-920 and it
works well
> for both CW and RTTY.  It seems a tad too narrow for
packet and probably
> pactor.  I also have an FT-890 that had the Yaesu 400 Hz
filter in when
> I bought it and it works very well.  I've had good success
with it on
> Field Day using CW.  The '890 also had the 2.4 kHz
optional Yaesu
> crystal filter and it works very well.
>
> It's probably a toss-up as to which is better.  I think
that available
> bandwidths are probably the determining factor.  One nice
thing is that
> INRAD still offers filters for much older models where the
factory
> optional units are now hard to find.
>
> Some years back I had a TS-850S that had the optional 1.8
kHz SSB filter
> in it and that filter was junk, in my opinion.  I put a
pair of INRAD
> 2.1 kHz filters (one in the 8.8 MHz IF and the other in
the 455 kHz IF)
> and they worked very nice as they could be independently
cut in and out
> of the circuit.  Unfortunately, the radio was a lemon in
other respects
> and I traded it for the '920 which has been rock stable.
>
> > Thanks in advance and 73,
>
> Hope that helps, Art.
>
> 73, de Nate >>
>
> --
>  Wireless | Amateur Radio Station N0NB          |
Successfully Microsoft
>  Internet | n0nb at networksplus.net               | free
since January 1998.
>  Location | Bremen, Kansas USA EM19ov           |
"Debian, the choice of
>   Amateur radio exams; ham radio; Linux info @  |     a
GNU generation!"
http://www.debian.org