[Yaesu] Opening Yaesu handheld battery packs for cellreplacement

Andy ingraham.ma.ultranet at rcn.com
Fri Jul 18 17:19:08 EDT 2008

At the risk of offending anyone, or more likely publicly embarrassing myself
because of my ignorance, I am a bit confused about the replies I've seen
about NiMH batteries.  Mind you, I am far from a battery expert.

One person says they require a rapid charger not a slow charger; another
says they must be charged slower than NiCads.

One reply says NiMHs have considerably lower output current capability.  Yet
I thought it was electric cars that generated the interest in NiMH in the
first place, and General Motors used NiMH batteries in their second round of
e-cars.  Something doesn't seem right here.

I'm not saying any of this is wrong; but to me it looks suspect.  Also
because I've seen accounts from others saying that they got good results
from switching to NiMH cells, as long as they were careful to charge them
correctly and appropriately (since they do require a different charging
profile than NiCads).

Andy