[AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 97 09:46:10 -0700
...snip...
>I guess the question I have is why anyone would wish to give up a bullet
>proof workhorse amp such as the AL-1200 for something completely unknown
>with no track record such as the QRO?

Ummmm.  A spirit of adventure?  There's a Ben and Jerry's on the way to
UPS?  The color of the AL-1200 cabinet clashes with the color of the
carpet?  He followed the VHF parasitics debate?

>The power output differences are marginal,

--true

>... ...Besides those 4CX800 tubes are in AB1 and require constant ALC
attention.

I built and use an 8169 Class AB1 grid-driven amplifier.  (to my great
regret and embarrassment, alas, this tetrode does NOT have handles)  An
ALC circuit would be as useless as the teats on a boar hog because I made
the 8169's grid bias V adjustable.  Long, long ago I set the bias V
adjusment so that my TS-440S could not produce grid current.  I have not
re-adjusted the bias V in at least a year.   As I recall, the bias V is
set to about neg. 240v.  When I switch to a different anode supply V, I
set the ZSAC to 0.4A with the screen V adjust, as Eimac recommends.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K