[AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 1997 15:58:28 EDT
On Fri, 6 Jun 1997 13:07:36 -0400 (EDT) KR4DAGRIP@aol.com writes:

><< The power output differences are marginal, so where is the benefit?
> Besides those 4CX800 tubes are in AB1 and require constant ALC
>attention.
>
> 73....Carl    KM1H >>
>
>91b manuel
>IF EXTERNAL ALC is used, amplifier grid current peaks greater then
>approximately
>3ma will initiate ALC. At grid current of 5-10mA, ALC output is
>nominally
>-10v.
>If the transceiver requires less ALC voltage, adjust the rear panel
>ALC
>potentiometer counterclockwise until smoth ALC action results.
>Increase the
>exciter RF  output
>untill the red GRID LED just illuminates on voice peaks.
>

>Ok so what am I doing wrong????????????? IT ALL SEEMS TO BE WORKING.
>Let see I have the 91b hooked up to the FT 990 and I have a coax cable
>to the antenna and a cable from thye FT 990 for relay control. I have
>the
>drive level set at 40 watts for 1500watts RF output per the LEDS.....
>
>BUT I DO NOT HAVE a cable from the FT 990 to the ALC of the 91b
>So again please what am I supposed to be concerned about.
>YES I DO NOT UNDERSTAND.
>
>Please be nice I really do want to understand obe wan kanoobie.
>
>73 de KR4DA Bob LAwrenceville GA

If I understand you correctly Bob, you have no ALC control at all. The
first step is to install that cable from the 91b back to the
FT-990....then pray it works.
The comments here that past few days bring the whole ALC issue to the
surface.
Stand by.... we can probably all get a few good ideas!.

BTW, even 3ma of grid current in an AB1 amp will cause splatter. If you
can see that much on a meter, the real peaks are a lot worse.

73....Carl    KM1H