[AMPS] parasitics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] parasitics
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Thu, 21 May 1998 09:17:14 +0100
Tom said:

>>I suspect that's why some amplifiers get
>> away without a parasitic suppressor - until the tube is changed.

>Do you mean the type of tube?

- No, the tube. All tubes are not equal, even from the same manufacturer's
batch. Not using a parasitic suppressor may be OK in an HF amp, but for
reliability and repeatability, I wouldn't do it. Not even on a 'one off' for
myself.

>> I've seen it in other tubes, where a component close to the
>> tube has enough capacity to allow a VHF current at the parasitic
frequency
>> to flow from the anode to the component through a localised area of the
>> envelope: the dielectric losses are enough to heat the glass, and a
pinhole
>> appears. Seen it in 6146s and 572s.

>I've seen a melt through in may inadequately cooled tubes. How do you
>know it was a parasitic? Did you ever calculate current required to
>heat the glass with RF heating?

In the cases I saw, it was during development, the amplifiers was suffering
very badly with parasitics, and in the 572 case, the lead running near the
glass discoloured. It also happened pretty quickly - the plates hadn't got
bright red. What else was likely?

I've never been very happy with 572's.

73

Peter G3RZP