[AMPS] What Tube for Home brew

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] What Tube for Home brew
From: RFpower@radiodan.com (Radiodan W7RF)
Date: Wed, 7 Oct 1998 14:31:28 -0700
In reference to the question on the 3CX1200Z7 tube:
I asked Ted Henry about the 3CX1200Z7 and he called Eimac and I quote
"Eimac swears to us that the 3CX1200Z7 is not being discontinued. "

The 3CX1200A7 as used in the HENRY 3K Classic & Premier and 5K Classic,  as
well as the 3CX1200D7 as used in the HENRY 3KD Premier (desktop, this tube
is slightly shorter) are good choices for rugged dependable power.
A couple of points about these tubes vs the 3CX800A7 (used in many small
light weight amps)is that plate voltages can be more than twice as high in
the 1200 as for example the 3CX800A7 which only allows 2250VDC and again as
compared to the 3CX800A7 the 1200 has a 50 watt grid, the 800 only a 4 watt
grid. Most amps running the 800 use elaborate protection schemes which
unnecessarily add to the cost and complication of an amp.
Also, the 1200 is instant on and the 800 is a wait for warm-up tube.
With the 1200 being instant on, you can turn the amp on and off as you wish
and never miss a contact.
I have thousands of QSO's on my HENRY 3K Classic X MKII with the original
3CX1200A7 tube. I run RTTY in contests at full legal limit and the amp
doesn't even breathe hard! I don't hesitate to turn the amp on and off as
needed (I pay a big enough electric bill already!).

See http://radiodan.com/Henry/misc/Radiodans_3K.htm

73, Dan Magro W7RF, (member SCDXC, SCCC)
Rugged, Reliable Henry HF Amps are "Instant on" for RF Power now!
DXers/Contesters/Ragchewers get your HENRY from RADIODAN for LESS!
***Subscribe to the HENRY reflector at www.qth.net <http://www.qth.net>
***
www.radiodan.com <http://www.radiodan.com> ??? RFpower@radiodan.com
<mailto:RFpower@radiodan.com> A trip to our web site is worth the click!