FW: [AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [AMPS] TL-922 Filament Transformer Protection
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 07:52:27 -0700

>> Rich says:
>>
>> >?   page number?
>>
>> pp439 - 442, 3rd edition

?  In my copy the statement about curing a parasitic by adding L to the
"plate" is on page 501.   However, Terman also recommends a resistor in
the "plate" lead, near the tube.   A parallel L/R combination VHF
parasitic suppressor would seem to fill the bill.

>> >Are you saying that less L in R-sup tunes the anode resonance lower in
freq.?

>> No.
>>
>> >?  Are you saying that it is impossible to create a broader resonance
>> >with one capacitor and two inductors that have different amounts of L,
>> >that are not mutually-coupled?
>>
>> Yes, with the proviso that the two inductors have a high enough Q that
>> circuit Q is not degraded. Draw a phasor diagram. Note that my definition
>> of resonance is 'applied volts in phase with applied current', however.

?  I have seen the Q-lowering effect of staggered double-resonance on a
dipmeter.  It is similar to staggar-tuning an IF transformer to broaden
response / lower Q.

>> >The damped-wave VHF ringing in the anode circuit can not pass through
>> >the lowpass tank.
>>
>> A 10m pi network will give about 80dB attenuation at 200MHz. I can see
>> harmonics - they get through. Or are these 'ringing oscillations' (call
>> them that to avoid confusion - one problem with e-mail is that it is easy
>> to leave out a word inadvertently

?  Like leaving out the word "rating"?

> > and then have endless fun clearing up
>> misunderstandings!)

?  Indeed.  .  One should copy-edit one's copy before clicking on the
Send Now button.

>> so far down that they can't be seen? If so, how can they have enough
>> amplitude to flash over bandswitches?

?  Bandswitch flashover could not be caused by transient-induced
damped-wave ringing in the anode-circuit because the amplitude is quite
small.    In order to arc anything, regeneration of the damped-wave
signal must take place.  The mechanism that makes regeneration possible
is the feedback capacitance in the amplifier tube.   However, my guess is
that there should be a C-Tune series-resonance somewhere in the vicinity
in order for regeneration to take place.  To wit:  If C-Tune presented a
low-Z across the VHF region, the net VHF RL on the amplifier tube would
be low and VHF voltage gain would be low.  .   Murphy said that things
are more complicated than they seem at first.

-  later, Peter

Rich...