[AMPS] Good Meter vs CRT was Hot wire....

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Good Meter vs CRT was Hot wire....
From: jreid@aloha.net (Jim Reid)
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 12:09:53 -1000
Hi all,

Had the pleasure of an FCC field engineer stop by here
3 or 4 years ago!!  Out here on an island in the middle
of the ocean??  Yes,  and he stayed overnight...for
two or three days!

Was running an Alpha 87A driven by a TS-950SDX at the
time.  He enjoyed operating the station,  never said a
word about how easy it was for the drive output from
the transceiver to send the Alpha LED's up into the
red light area on some voice peaks.  He had no
buddy nor field strength meter with him, hi.  Showed
him how simple it was to stop that,  just turn the output
down on the 950 a bit.

He was a great guy,  was here in Hawaii for an FCC
meeting/gathering of some sort over in Honolulu,so
had come over here for some R&R from the grind
of monitoring us hams.  He was from the
monitoring site up in Alaska at the time; I  believe
it is now closed,  or at least no longer manned.

Anyway,  we had a good visit,  and he found it fun
to watch the Bird needle bounce around!  Unfortunately,
lost contact with him since.  Not a scarry guy at all.

73,  Jim,  KH7M
On the Garden Island of Kauai,  where we were doing
a B&B for radio amateurs at the time,  since gave up
on that.