[AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Blown TL922A... What to do?
From: Peter_Chadwick@mitel.com (Peter Chadwick)
Date: Fri, 8 Sep 2000 15:43:44 +0100
Tom says:

>Now I didn't test every PA in the world, but the case where anode C
>is more than distributed capacitance in the PA and the lead
>between the two C's happens to form a step-up transformer doesn't
>occur in any PA I have....even though Rich claims it can.

That doesn't mean it can't happen - only that you haven't seen it.

        >Tell me the flaw in my measurement method, exciting the anode of
        >the tube at the anode with a high impedance bridging source and
        >measuring voltage along the tank system.

Getting a sufficiently high impedance of R very high in series with absolutely
j0.

        >Remember we have to destroy the switch, which is further
      >downstream....

Assume the stray capacity to ground from the switch end of the first section of
the tank coil series resonated at the parasitic frequency with the first bit of
tank coil?

Pretty damned unlikely, but not totally impossible.

        >Let's get past that, and then talk about how the tube can
        >manage to develop full output at 150 MHz and not show grid
        >current or anode current.

That bit's easy! Cold fusion, or cosmic rays or spiritualism AND the application
of witchcraft.

I'm saying you cannot explicitly rule out the possibility of step up as far as
the tank capacitor, or even to the switch. The probability of it happening is
pretty mind boggling low as you need the resonances of several sets of
components to all tie together. About the same as my wife winning the first
prize in the lottery this weekend. But not impossible.

After all, even a stopped analogue clock is right twice a day!

73

Peter G3RZP