[AMPS] 240VAC Amplifier Wiring

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 240VAC Amplifier Wiring
From: paulc@mediaone.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 08:48:53 -0500
> It is potentially dangerous not to connect the cabinet of U. S. built
> amplifiers to the Neutral wire.  This is true for 120v as well 240v
> operation.

Rich, I agree with this statement so long as the cabinet gets to the load
center neutral only through a separate ground wire, not a current-carrying
neutral attached to the cabinet.  The potential problem wouldn't be so
pervasive if one can guarantee that 1) the neutral is always at ground
potential, and 2) there is never a resistance (even if slight) between the
neutral and the amp cabinet.  A dedicated gound (same potential as the
neutral but no current flowing through it) keeps the cabinet safely in
check.