[AMPS] 240VAC Amplifier Wiring

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 240VAC Amplifier Wiring
From: emoore@windemullerelectric.com (Eric Moore)
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2000 13:20:58 -0500

> 10 gauge wire is too smallish for a 30 foot run for a legal limit amp.
Look

#10 is good for 30A (24A continuous)

30A x 240V = 7.2KVA

Approximately = 7,200 Watts

I can't imagine a legal limit amplifier drawing more than that, but will
accept if they do.
I have a SB-220 which rated 10 amps @240V = 2.4KVA or Approximately = 2,400
Watts
(I don't know what the power factor is)

30A x 100' run on #10AWG CU = 6.9 volts dropped.
30A x 30' run on #10AWG CU = 2.1 volts dropped.
240V x 3% (maximum voltage drop allowed by code) = 12V.

Both conditions are well within that allowable per code, and also well
within a reasonable design practices.  Of course bigger conductors would
result in less voltage drop, but there is a point of diminishing return.  I
not saying that it can't be done, I just saying that it does not have to be
done.  I do not see why any larger feeder than #10AWG CU would be required.

>Lots of home built amps use a standard, electric range "Y" cordset.
>These have 3 conductors.  Barring assault with a hacksaw, N is at ground
>potential.

A standard range "Y" cordset was never intended to include a neutral
connection.  The standard range connection consists of 2 lines and a ground.

The Neutral is only at ground potential at the point where it is bonded with
the ground.  This is normally done in the main service panel.  The farther
away from the bonded connection to ground, the higher the likelihood of the
neutral and ground being different in potential.  This is because any
unbalanced current and voltage flows on the neutral conductor.  This can be,
and is caused by, DC Power supplies, Ballast's in Fluorescent lighting,
inverters, etc.

Also, 10/3 "Romex" NMS (Non-Metallic Sheathed Cable) can only be used in a
circuit which does not included a Neutral, as the third conductor, a bare
conductor, is intended to be used as the equipment grounding conductor.

73,
Eric
K8CCA