[AMPS] 240VAC Amplifier Wiring

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 240VAC Amplifier Wiring
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2000 04:23:44 -0800
>> >30A x 100' run on #10AWG CU = 6.9 volts dropped.
>>
>> This is for a resistive load.  C filter DC supplies are different.  The
>> peak to avg current ratio is c. 10 to 1
>
>Rich, wouldn't this only be applicable during the initial inrush of current
>at power-up

It was recurrent.  The transformer had a primary resistance of
0.079-ohms.  It used a bar-stock primary winding.  The mains R measured
0.075-ohms.  We are talking about some serious amperes.

> and that a step-start circuit should limit the inrush of current
>"somewhere close" to that of a resistive load?  Or, is the C-input effect on
>AC current seen on full-power CW mode for instance, where the current demand
>rapidly changes with the activation of the key?

the peaks were there on SSB.  My wife said she could almost make out what
I was saying due to the vibration of the #4 Cu in the attic.   My guess
is that peaks exceeded 300A.

cheers, Paul

end